List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: LyX Outliner and Corkboard - Feature Proposal
From:       Guenter Milde <milde () users ! berlios ! de>
Date:       2009-03-06 13:57:34

On 2009-03-06, José Matos wrote:
> On Friday 06 March 2009 09:08:37 Guenter Milde wrote:
>> I'd rather like to see the difference made clear.

>> Layouts are "block elements", you cannot have two layouts in one
>> paragraph.

>> Insets are  "inline elements" (even if they sometimes contain block
>> elements.

> No they are not. It is not possible to do this association one to one. Only
> char styles are exclusively inline elements.

> It is difficult to argue that a float inset is an inline element. :-)

But it really is:

 like a footnote, the float *definition* can be inside a
 paragraph while the *output* is moved to a different place by the tex
 engine.

You can even see the difference:

* when you put the float inset into its own paragraph, the following
  text is indented (or separated by vspace), as it starts a new paragraph.

OTOH, lists (like itemize) are by default nested inside surrounding
paragraph (in the LaTeX source) while separate paragraphs in LyX.
You need to insert a "--- Separator ---" or another empty
paragraph to have the first paragraph after a list indented.

Günter