List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: LyX Outliner and Corkboard - Feature Proposal
From:       Guenter Milde <milde () users ! berlios ! de>
Date:       2009-03-06 9:08:37

On 2009-03-06, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
> Vincent van Ravesteijn wrote:
>> rgheck schreef:
>>> This is the same issue as with InsetOptArg. It shouldn't be an inset.
>>> It's a layout feature.

>>> Richard

>> That's why I would like to see this difference to disappear.

I'd rather like to see the difference made clear.

Layouts are "block elements", you cannot have two layouts in one
paragraph.

Insets are  "inline elements" (even if they sometimes contain block
elements.

>> Why is a note an Inset and the title an layout ? Why is a branch an
>> inset and the abstract a layout ?

You can have a title in a note and a note in a title. But you cannot
have an abstract in a title or a title in an abstact.

>> Why do we have a lyxcode layout and a listings insets ? etc.

The listings inset should indeed preferabely be a layout (as the
lstlistings environment is a block element).
  However, the inset has some additional features that might be needed
for listings...

Another example are "Container Environments" like slides of a
presentation. LyX' model for environment-type layouts not suited for
LaTeX environments that are wrappers around other styles.  The hack with
the "--- Separator ---" style is not needed if you use an Inset for these
environments instead.  The question is how I can obsolete a Style by an
Inset so that documents are updated to the new layout.

Günter