List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Interest in using git with lyx svn
From:       Abdelrazak Younes <younes () lyx ! org>
Date:       2009-03-05 13:25:09

Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
> Pavel Sanda <sanda@lyx.org> writes:

>>> That looked just like a mirror, and the wiki seemed to lack info on how
>>> to turn that into a git-svn clone?
>>>
> | i belive this is possible, but i must admit i was never interested more to investigate :)
>
> So git svn clone is the only viable solution for devvies wanting to use
> git-svn? That takes a long time and the conversion unless precautionas
> are taken is not really nice.

No, AFAIK you can clone a git repo with 'git clone' and then use git-svn
for the rest. I use Pavel's LyX repo for history and blaming with qgit
and that's very very good compared to 'svn log' and 'svn blame', even
more important, that's fast, incredibly fast!
But I still don't use git-svn for commit...

Quite frankly, and IMHO, if a change to git is wanted, I'd prefer that
we switch to a git repo altogether. We should declare a git repository
somewhere *the main repository* and don't force the use of git-svn. If
some developpers can't switch immediately, I'd suggest that we maintain
an svn server that is periodically pushed to the git main repo.

Abdel.