List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: LyX Outliner and Corkboard - Feature Proposal
From:       Jürgen Spitzmüller <j.spitzmueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2009-03-05 11:02:40

Rob Oakes wrote:
> http://www.oak-tree.us/stuff/LyX-Proposal.pdf

Thanks, this is a an interesting paper. I think that your proposal is
overall compatible with LyX's approach, and I think LyX could be extended to
support at least many of your ideas.

The actual question now is: how to implement that. As said, it should be
done in small steps, and the implementation has to be in line with LyX's
existing code and concepts.

As I see it, you could proceed as follows:

1. implement drag and drop support in the outliner. This is a long-standing
feature request anyway (only nobody volunteered until now).

2. implement the possibility to add comments to the outliner items. As Helge
wrote, these will need to be stored in the document (as specific
properties). I suppose this would be much easier to implement after LyX's
file format switched to XML, something that is planned for the immediate
future, but still needs thought and action.

3. implement representations of the outliner comments. I'm not quite sure
about the "Corkboard" concept, but the other representation would be
certainly doable (and easier), so you should probably start with this
representation.

So: go ahead and propose patches :-)

Jürgen