List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Web site in other languages
From:       Christian_Ridderström <christian.ridderstrom () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-12-29 1:43:21

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

>> I don't know if we'll have an automatic language switch depending on
>> browser settings.
>>
>> A compromise might be to emphasize the mechanism for switching language
>> if the user's browser is set to another language than the current. This
>> way, if a japanese user comes to the site he'll more easily see that it
>> is actually available in japanese, but his default will still be
>> english.
>
> I am not sure why you do not want to show the site in japanese when the
> user has requested japanese by default...

Primarily I'm concerned with how it will scale in terms of quality if the
site is translated to more languages. The japanse translation seem to be
coming along really good, but what if a translation has only done half the
pages?  Or what if the language is less good?

These are some reasons why I'd prefer just showing the english version
first. Another reason is to save me some work... :-)

Finally, in the long term I don't want to commit to much effort into
supporting translation issues, _especially_ if things spill over into the
wiki. In the wiki in particular, I believe we should keep information in
english so that searches are more efficient etc.

> Experiment: set your browser preferred language to French, Swedish, whatever.
> Go to www.google.com. What do you see?

I think google (also) uses cookies to remember what language you prefer,
IIRC I can select my preferred language on their web site. However, I
concede that they most likely (initially?) use content negotiation.

cheers
/Christian

--
Christian Ridderström, +46-8-768 39 44            http://www.md.kth.se/~chr