List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Crash (Assert) when opening a directory
From:       Christian_Ridderström <christian.ridderstrom () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-29 16:47:05

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Christian Ridderström wrote:

> I can repeatedly reproduce the following on one machine:
> * Start freshly build LyX 1.6.1svn
> * 'C-o'  (open-file)
> * Enter directory 'private' (by double clicking on it)
> * Enter subdirectory 'jobb' (by double clicking on it)
>
> LyX now crashes with this message:
>
> 	 LyX: Done!
> 	 ASSERT failure in QList<T>::at: "index out of range", file
> 	 ../../include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qlist.h, line 391
> 	 Aborted

I just build LyX 1.6.0 on that machine at it crashes in the same way.

This is definitely one of the stranger bugs I've ever encountered. It is
definitely related to a directory called 'Göran', which when doing ls
looks like 'G?ran'.

LyX crashes when opening to private/jobb/ if I have the following
directory struture

 	private/
 	  jobb/
 	    cv/
 	    Göran/

However, it does not crash when I have either of these structures:

 	private/
 	  Göran/
 	  jobb/
 	    cv/

or

 	private/
 	  jobb/
 	    cv/
 	      Göran/

Nor does it crash if I rename 'private/' to 'p/' or 'privat/'.
It also does not crash if I rename 'jobb/' to 'j/' or 'jobba/'.

There was also a little while when LyX would crash immediately upon start
if I had 'Göran/' inside the directory 'private/jobb/'. If I then removed
'Göran/' from that directory, I could start LyX. Please note that LyX
starts browsing the home directory when doing C-o, not 'private/jobb/', so
it shouldn't matter what files there are in this directory when starting
LyX.

Does Qt cache directory structures globally or something?

Should I care about this bug? In my case, I can simply rename or
move 'Göran/', but maybe the bug can cause problems in other situations.

Regards,
Christian

PS. Can someone recommed a debugger for LyX on Ubuntu. In that case maybe
i could trace what's happening.

--
Christian Ridderström, +46-8-768 39 44            http://www.md.kth.se/~chr