List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Outline more persistent
From:       Pavel Sanda <sanda () lyx ! org>
Date:       2008-09-28 21:22:02

hi,

its constant frustration for me that it is not possible to keep outliner tree view
in some persistent state. i very often need to uncollapse only few branches in
my view to see the structure and move between these places. the document is big
enough that full uncollapsing is not usable.

it drives me crazy to uncollapse all these branches again and again after each
update of the outliner, so i would like to have some persistent feature of outliner.

i though about possible solutions:

1. to detect changes in structure of the document and update toc view only in such
   a case. most simple would be some caching mechanism of the last structure.

2. to remember the way tree was uncollapsed and after each rebuilt make uncollapse
   it in the same way if the structure around haven't changed to much. this start
   to suggest some diff-like algorithm and will be almost impossible to get completely
   right.

3. provide some 'freeze' checkbox with handling of the outliner trying to move
   in already deleted/changed parts of document. update will on demand of refresh
   button.

i tend for 3. solution but would like to hear your opinions.

pavel