List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Introduction and Armenian language support
From:       Dov Feldstern <dov () lyx ! org>
Date:       2008-05-31 20:17:27

Suren Karapetyan wrote:
> Hi there!
> I'm Suren Karapetyan from Armenia.
>
> I've spent the last few hours trying to understand how I'm supposed to
> write Armenian book with LyX.
> I'm trying to rewrite the book I wrote with a friend of mine
> (http://www.pocpp.org) in LyX.
> And of course I have a problem embedding English words in Armenian text.
>
> I do speak/read/write Armenian quite excellent and also I have
> programming skills.
> And I'm really interested in making it work better.
>
> So if someone takes his time explaining what to do and from where to
> start I'll be happy to help the project (and myself) adding good
> Armenian support.
>

> Regards
> Suren

Hi, Suren!

Exactly what kind of problem are you having "embedding English words" --- are
you having trouble typing it in as English, or does LaTeX complain when you try
to compile, or what?

One thing you should realize is that it is important to tell LaTeX that you are
switching languages when you do --- in other words: it's not enough to just type
in some English words by switching the keyboard (I believe Armenian uses a
non-Latin character set?), you also have to mark those words as 'english', so
that LaTeX can process it correctly. There are a few ways to do this:

1. In Edit -> Text Style -> customized..., you can switch the Language to
English (I'm assuming your default language is set to Armenian)

2. in the minibuffer (View->Toolbars->Command Buffer, or Alt-x with the cua
bindings), type 'language english' to switch from the default language to
english, and then again 'language english' to switch back to the default
language ('language xxxx' is a toggle between the default language and the
language xxxx).

3. You can create your own binding for the 'language xxx' command, so that you
can toggle the language with a single keystroke. In Hebrew we use F12 for this,
I suggest you do the same. The file should just contain something like the
following two lines, and then you have to tell LyX to use it as you bind file:

\bind_file cua # "includes" the normal bind file
\bind "F12" "language armenian"

I'm not sure if this at all addresses the issues you're having; if not, try to
provide more details about what exactly is and isn't working.

Hope this helps!
Dov