List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Alternative to individual embedding?
From:       "Bo Peng" <ben.bob () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-05-13 13:49:26

>  Many users already maintain their own directory underneath the document
> directory. They can of course continue to do so.

They cannot. Once the document is turned to the 'bundled mode', users
have to depend on 'update from external' to make their changes to
these files available to lyx. What makes it worse is that after users
turn off 'bundled mode', there is no way to make local changes
available to lyx (unless you continue to provide this 'update from
external' to users in this mode).

>  The "internal" files can always be updated from the "external" files.

As I have said, this is inconvenient because it changes the way user
works. For users working with external files, this means an additional
step to do, plus the confusion I mentioned above.

>  As I said elsewhere, I don't attempt reversibility in that sense, because
> of the security problems.

My solution achieves full reversibility without security problem.

There are many problems with non-reversibility. I have described the
'user send us user's guide' and 'turn on/off bundled mode' scenarios,
but there are even bigger problems with existing files. When I turn on
bundled mode, all my file structures are changed. The original
external files become irrelevant but I still have to keep them for
'update it from external' if I want to do that ( a lot of my figures
are computer generated/updated). I also have to do a bunch of 'svn'
operations to reflect the structure change. Note that this 'move to
filename.lyxdir' operation is not svn friendly. After I inserted a few
figures, I have to guess which files are added (to which subdirectory
under which name) inside filename.lyxdir to add them to svn.

In summary, your solution is too intrusive and complicated for my
working style (svn + multiple machines + external files). I do
understand others may not work in my style though.

Bo