List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    The LyX licence
From:       Angus Leeming <leeming () lyx ! org>
Date:       2005-02-24 20:36:38

Hi, Ruurd. It appears that I forgot you from the original mail shot
(you're not listed in CREDITS which is something we should fix ASAP.)

Dear all,

please excuse the personal email, but I'm trying to do something about
the messy state of the LyX licence and need your help.

LyX is currently licenced under the GPL with a huge hole blowing it
wide apart so that it could be linked against the closed source
XForms library. See http://www.lyx.org/about/license.php3. Legal
opinion has it that this exception does not apply only to the XForms
library. Instead, anything and everything is allowed to link against
the LyX source code, defeating the whole point and purpose of the
GPL. Moreover, the exception is no longer needed as XForms (and
indeed Qt) are available under the GPL.

To make a messy situation even messier, it's not even certain whether
the current license is valid at all, as the necessary permissions may
not have been obtained before the change was made to the original
GPL.

In light of all this, I'm asking whether I can have your permission to
add your names to http://www.lyx.org/blanket-permission.txt:

"The following people hereby grant permission to licence their
contributions to LyX under the Gnu General Public Licence, version 2
or later."

so that we can have a permanent record of those people who have
contributed code to LyX and who are happy for this code to be
licenced under the GPL.

Kind regards,
Angus

ps, if you reply to lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org, we'll have a permanent