List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Drag-n-drop image files (QT)
From:       Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes () inria ! fr>
Date:       2005-01-28 13:44:17

Angus> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
>> It seems sufficiently simple to be acceptable. I think we should
>> work on the 1.4.0 integration first, though.
>>
>> One thing that I would like to see is using methods from the
>> graphics loader used for deciding whether the file is OK instead of
>> QImageIO::imageFormat. This is Angus' word, of course.

Angus> You mean that the patch should use the graphics loader to
Angus> ascertain whether the image is "loadable"? Well, that would
Angus> definitely be better than using the Qt stuff.

do we have the necessary infrastructure in place (we do not handle
mime types, do we?).

Angus> LyX has converters after all. However, I think that we should
Angus> allow the user to DND anything. If we can't convert then that
Angus> will come up when conversion is initiated, as now.

But we need two different lfuns for LyX files and graphics, so we need
some kind of test.

Also, the semantics of dropping a LyX file is opening it (vs inserting
it in current document). This is not the same as the semantics of
dropping an image. Isn't this a problem UI-wise?

>> I guess this could be used for external inset too.

Angus> DND? Definitely. But that would require an extra dialog to
Angus> enable LyX to ascertain whether the file is to become a
Angus> graphics, external or include inset.

OK, forget about it :)

JMarc