List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: LyX/Mac OS 10.3.4: wrong paths?
From:       Ronald Florence <ron () 18james ! com>
Date:       2004-08-30 16:57:36

On Aug 30, 2004, at 2:25 PM, Bruce Pourciau wrote:

> PS Bennett suggested running texhash, but Viktor replied: "Running
> texhash as root, LyX-Setup and Edit->Reconfigure doesn't help either...
> it still can't find any classes"
>
> Viktor Horvath wrote:
>>
>> I'm setting up a new pool configuration for my university's computer
>> lab. I
>> did a fresh install of teTeX, Ghostscript et al. using the newest
>> i-Installer, then I installed LyX. Unfortunately, LyX is not able to
>> find
>> any textclasses (article, book, ...) - of course they exist, and
>> TeX-frontends like iTeXMac are able to produce nice LaTeX output.
>>
>> But the paths to, say, article.sty aren't the same as they were in
>> previous
>> i-Installer teTeX installations: Now the tex/ subdirectory is below
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex, and NOT below
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf which also exists! (For this reason, I
>> cannot
>> make a link texmf -> texmf.tetex)
>>
>> I experienced this problem using LyX 1.3.4 under both Mac OS 10.2.8
>> and
>> 10.3.4 with newest i-Installer teTeX versions.

I cannot duplicate Viktor's experience. I recently (8.vii.2004)
installed teTeX on a new MacOS-10.3.x machine with the i-Installer; the
tex subdirectory is below /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex.  I then
installed LyX/Mac from the binary package.  LyX/Mac works fine, finds
the article, book and other classes.  I did not need any special links
to make this work.

The locations of teTeX binaries are hard-coded into LyX-Mac-1.3.4.  The
location of the TeX hierarchy is set during the Edit -> Reconfigure
phase of the installation.  Could Viktor have forgotten that?
--

Ronald Florence				ron.18james.com