List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: bugzilla
From:       Georg Baum <Georg.Baum () post ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2002-09-21 19:23:56

Am Freitag, 20. September 2002 17:02 schrieb Andre Poenitz:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 04:00:38PM +0100, John Levon wrote:
> > > I myself won't file a bug report when loginname/password is required!
> >
> > Oh come on, it takes two seconds
>
> It's not a matter of time, it's about putting private information in a
> public place. _We_ are interested in getting bug reports after all.
>
> Andre'

Hi,
some comments from somebody who used bugzilla for the first time some days
ago. If I knew how much time it would cost before filing the bug, I would
not have done it.

- bugzilla required a new login on almost every page
- Searching was difficult
- I wanted to attach a file, found no option to do it, then entered it into
the text window, but the newlines were stripped off in the final report.
Later I saw that one could modify the report and attach a file, but I did
not because it was too timeconsuming.
- In general, the user interface is very confusing.
- There is no direct link on www.lyx.org to bugzilla

I am used to the Debian bugtracking system (see http://bugs.kde.org/ and
http://bugs.debian.org/), and this is in my opinion far more userfriendly.
All communication with the Bug tracking system can be done by email, no need
for an account & password, and a better web interface (in my opinion).

Please don't misunderstand me: Having bugzilla is better than no bug
tracking system, and I do very well understand that this is a volunteer
project, but if it is difficult for users to file bugs some bugs won't get
filed at all.

Georg