List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: crash at startup
From:       Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <lasgouttes () freesurf ! fr>
Date:       2002-05-31 14:28:00

>>>>> "Lars" == Lars Gullik Bjønnes <larsbj@lyx.org> writes:

Lars> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <lasgouttes@freesurf.fr> writes:
>>>>>>> "Lars" == Lars Gullik Bjønnes <larsbj@lyx.org> writes:

Lars> | Lars> Feel free to find out where excatly it crashes. (and why
Lars> should | Lars> it suddenly begin to crash... or did it always
Lars> crash?)

Lars> | My theory is that there is some bad memory bug somewhere and
Lars> that it | gives rise to all these strang things at impredictable
Lars> places. I think | the culprit is the boost::signal stuff,
Lars> although the regexp report | from valgrind should be fixed.

Lars> Some one should report it to boost then.

Yes, but you are the one who understands so-called 'modern' C++ and
boost black magic.

And you are the one who decide to use this code. So somehow you cannot
rely on us to clean up the mess... Of course, I could upgrade my
compiler and stop to think about it. But maybe it would be more useful
if you installed an older compiler and tried to play with it.

Lars> | However, I won't be able to do it because (1) next week my
Lars> family is | back, and I won't be able to work at home (2) I
Lars> cannot compile with | debug info on my laptop (it is already
Lars> very very painful) and

Lars> cerr << "did I reach this place: " << var1 << var2 << endl;

Lars> is a perfectly valid debug tool.

Indeed. I will try to take a look. Anyway, if you look at the code in
BufferView::Pimpl, you will see why I suspect the boost signal code.

JMarc