List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: UserGuide question
From:       Baruch Even <baruch.even () writeme ! com>
Date:       2000-11-30 14:21:55

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, John Levon wrote:

> On 29 Nov 2000, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
>
> > Angus Leeming <a.leeming@ic.ac.uk> writes:
> >
> > | In the UserGuide :
> > |
> > | The undo-mechanism has been limited to 100 steps in the beta-version, as this
> > | feature has not yet been properly tested out.
> > |
> > | Is this still true?
> > |
> > | In lyxfunc.C::Dispatch()
> > | 	case LFUN_UNDO:
> > | 		disable = buf->undostack.empty();
> > | 		break;
> > |
> > | I can see no limit here.
> >
> > Actually we have a limit:
> >
> > src/undo.C:83,92
> >
> > This limit is initialized to 100.
> >
> > There is a problem with having no limit... we will always keep undo
> > information from the momemnt when lyx was started and for long runs
> > this can be a long time and a lot of bits in the undo stack...
> >
> >         Lgb
> >

> The standard thing unlimited-undo apps do here is to empty the undo stack
> when the document is saved. Whether you want to do that or not is a
> different matter ...
>
> john

I'd rather it not be done this way, trimmed maybe (reduced to the 100 undo
limit), but not emptied completely. I found myself needing the undo even
after a save as I'm into the habbit of pressing C-s every few words.
(Results of the horror days of Word).

--
  Baruch Even

http://techst02.technion.ac.il/~sbaruch/   (My Site)
http://www.redrival.com/jindor/            (My brothers AD&D site)

" Learn to laugh ... it's the path to true love! "
   - The Angel in the movie Michael