List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Request for improvements in \cite{} support & \maketitle woes
From:       Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes () inria ! fr>
Date:       1999-07-30 15:52:31

>>>>> "Gerald" == Gerald Cecil <gcecil@noao.edu> writes:

Gerald> Hello fellow LyX enthusiasts.  Can we have an xforms checkbox
Gerald> to genereate \citep{} & \citet{} Bib forms rather than the
Gerald> obsolete \cite{} that v1.0.3 currently supports?  I can sort
Gerald> of see where to hack the source code, but I think this would
Gerald> be generally useful.  Recall, these forms generate citations
Gerald> in text of the form (Fred et al. 1999) and Fred et al. (1999)

Where did you get the fact that \cite is obsolete??? I am myself used
to read and write the [1] form in most papers in my speciality
(probability theory). I agree however that \citen and \citep should be
supported. In fact, this would have been done long ago if one of the
core developpers had needed it...

Gerald> Also, there should be some way to collapse citations.
Gerald> Currently one gets (Fred 1999) (Fred 1999a) (Fred 1991) when
Gerald> what one wants is (Fred 1999, 1999a, 1991) which is
Gerald> accomplished in LaTeX by doing \citep{fre99,fre99a,fre91}
Gerald> (Assuming the labels are set correctly as Bibitems.)

Just enter a comma separated list in the popup...

Gerald> Finally, \maketitle still causes grief w/ what I guess are
Gerald> non-standard style packages (e.g. aastex v5 from the American
Gerald> Astronomical Society) which don't tolerate the \maketitle that
Gerald> LyX generates.  While it is true that this is a question of
Gerald> "style hygiene" (not cleaning up after itself), it would be
Gerald> nice to handle this in the layout file for that style as a
Gerald> user-specified flag turning on (default) or off generation of
Gerald> the \maketitle by LyX before LaTeX runs.  What happens when
Gerald> the \maketitle appears in e.g. the aastex style is that the
Gerald> following Abstract disappears.  Not quite what one wants!

Should \maketitle be placed *after* the abstract? Then, in
aastex.layout, you should insert
  InTitle  1
in the 'Style Abstract' entry around line 5180.

Mike, do you have a comment on this?

JMarc