List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    reLyX 2.9!
From:       Amir Karger <karger () bead ! aecom ! yu ! edu>
Date:       1999-03-30 18:18:32

Here it is. There's a million things I'd like to get in, but I obviously
won't have time. I'm leaving today until Sunday, which is almost Lars'
deadline. Hopefully, I didn't write too many bugs into this version.

As you can see, the main stuff here is graphics. Other than that there's a
bunch of bugfixes. I've been getting bug reports from more folks lately,
which is definitely good news! Keep it up, people!

reLyX/CHANGES says:

- Empty layouts (like slide and hollywood's fadein) are supported (reported
  and pseudo-coded by Alain Castera)

Thanks for the fix, Alain, and sorry it took 5 months! Basically, this means
that layouts with "KeepEmpty 1" in the .layout file will be written even if
there's no text in them.

It's sort of a lie that slide is supported. Since the slides.layout uses
\lyxnewslide as an alias for slide, only that will be translated to a slide
layout. Regular \begin{slide} will still be copied in TeX mode (although
stuff within it will be translated normally). So it's not great, but it
might be useful for people translating back & forth to LaTeX.

- \includegraphics -- graphics and graphicx forms, to the extent that LyX
  supports them

Unfortunately, there's a lot that's not supported. I can't translate any
figure with a bounding box, with clipping (or the \includegraphics*
command), or any other unknown key (except "silent", which I ignore).
Also can't translate one that uses a weird scaling length. I can convert mm
or pt to cm, but if a person wants to make a figure of height \topmargin,
then I'm stuck. (Will there be an "other" field someday in the figure
height/width sections?)

- Bug: bugfix in 2.6.1.3 meant \n in "\ERT{text\ntext}" was lost! (Now it's
  converted to a space)

Thanks, Mike Ressler!

- REfixed the bug where thebibliography environment created an extra
  paragraph

Thanks, Bas Spitters!

- Handle \epsfig, \psfig
- Handle \epsffile, \epsfbox

Older versions of \includegraphics. (Also \epsfxsize, & ysize which go along
with \epsffile)

- LyX now understands sqrt[]{}! Don't need to delete optional argument
  anymore.

Thanks for the feature, Alejandro!

- BUG: "\layout Abstract " had extra space at end; LyX didn't recognize it!

Thanks again, Bas!

- BUG: tables with empty cells at end and no bottom line were mistranslated
- BUG: one-column tables could be mistranslated (HACK)

I think this was included in alejandro's sample scientific word doc.

------------------------------

The bad news is, I probably won't be doing much reLyX coding in the next few
weeks. I really need to finish my PhD. My wife said she's moving with or
without me.... There's all sorts of things reLyX could still use. The good
news, though, is that I looked at the man page today and realized reLyX
supports quite a lot of stuff, even if there's a lot it doesn't support and
the bug list keeps growing.

So. Please find bugs, typos in the docs, etc. Test lots of files with
included figures, and let me know if reLyX didn't translate a command it
should have translated, or if it translated one incorrectly, etc.

(But don't tell me that when it copied the command in tex mode, it put
braces after the underscore. Yes, \includegraphics{foo_bar} will yield a TeX
mode \includegraphics{foo_{b}ar} if reLyX can't translate the command fully
into LyX. Same old problem in yet another new guise. There's all sorts of
kludges we could make; reLyX probably needs a kernel rewrite so it can tell
when it's in math mode, which would solve a BUNCH of these problems.)

Now would also be a good time to get any remaining reLyX bugs for
*non-graphics* stuff off your chest.

Or just send me a note to tell me how amazingly reLyX works now :)

Happy reLyXing!

-Amir