List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Namespaces (was: string vs. LString)
From:       Allan Rae <allan.rae () mailbox ! uq ! edu ! au>
Date:       1999-03-30 4:22:12

On 29 Mar 1999, Lars Gullik Bj=F8nnes wrote:
> We need to introduce namespaces rather soon.
> =09Lgb

Perhaps we should make a decision as to what compiler capabilities we
require.  By the time LyX-1.1 is finished and stable enough to release
there will probably be another gcc released and egcs will also be better.
So perhaps we should make those the standard now and forget about
gcc-2.7.2 and its contemporaries and concentrate on getting better code
written instead of compatability#.  That would also be a benefit for me
since I could avoid having to reinstall gcc-2.7.2 and just stick with the
two compilers I have now instead of the old 4 compiler installation I used
to have.

Points:

Anyone using egcs should be using the latest or latest - 1.
=09It is experimental after all and egcs-1.0.3a has a few flaws.

Namespaces are handy and extensively used in the STL so it would make
sense to exploit them rather than try to work around them.

Allan. (ARRae)

# We still need portability to other platforms of course but we can draw a
line and say "it must support namespaces" or whatever else we desire.
We can probably get away without partial specialization of templates.