List:       lxc-users
Subject:    Re: [lxc-users] Recent LXC / LXD and shared file systen infrastructures
From:       Guido_Jäkel <G.Jaekel () DNB ! DE>
Date:       2015-11-19 21:59:25

On 19.11.2015 21:58, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > By the way i would prefer any kind of textual format (even a "xml-hell") for such \
> > things like a configuration information over any proprietary representation \
> > because it will violate KISS but yield marginal benefits for the user of an \
> > application. Of course it's "much simpler" for the developers of this application \
> > ;) But an user is enforced to convert it forward to and back from some textual \
> > representation if he want to deal with it.
>
> Well the representation is certainly not proprietary :)  I do also prefer
> plaintext files, but the winning argument was that if you have tens of
> thousands of containers (not all running), and you want to look for all
> the ones which have device X enabled, a db search is quick, whereas
> parsing not only all the config files but also all the included files
> will be very slow.

I know you would answer with that ;) And because you admit about plaintext files, \
we're right, both. And the extreme of tens of thousands of containers, where the \
difference in performance will be noticeable and will legitimate a term like "very \
slow" is one striking picture. Comparing the time need to type-in some well known \
grep, sed or other unix standards versus to study the documentation of a specific db \
tool might be another one.

> Ok, if you really aren't going to be creating them, then you can just keep your
> containers stored as they are now, and just have each node keep a database with
> container configuration.  You could even hack something where you have a dummy
> 'image' with empty rootfs and basic config, lxc init dummy c1, bind mount the
> rootfs you really want onto /var/lib/lxd/containers/c1/rootfs, and start the
> container - but that isn't guaranteed to work long-term.

Good clue - this mount and unmount action might be done by using the hooks. And if \
required at all, some additional information about this might be stored in the dummy \
image.

I'll better see what LXD expect and what I would like, if i'm able to play with this \
in real. And I hope that I soon get the permission to start with - to honor the \
excellent work of the developers like you by using it.

Thank you so far

Guido