List:       lustre-discuss
Subject:    [lustre-discuss] lustre-discuss Digest, Vol 112, Issue 30
From:       strosahl () jlab ! org (Kurt Strosahl)
Date:       2015-07-29 16:03:05

Hi Massimo,

     This sounds exactly like the issue I encountered over a month ago with my lustre \
2.5.3 system.  The quick solution I found was to set the qos_threshold_rr to 100% (so \
flat round robin, not weighted).  However that causes a problem where osts would go \
over 90% while others were still under 50%.  I was able to come up with a hack... I \
created a pool that included all the osts except the ones that were not usable, and \
then put every directory in that pool (called production).  Once that was done I was \
able to turn back on the qos round robin.

A problem with this is that, in 2.5.3, pools are not properly inherited \
(https://jira.hpdd.intel.com/browse/LU-5916).  That means that new directories \
wouldn't get the pool information, and would thus only land on osts above the bad \
ones.  This was solved using the changelog, which shows when directories are created. \
We were then able to write some code that assigned every new directory to the \
production pool.  So far it seems to be working.

Another issue I've since discovered is that since files created before the production \
pool was created don't have a pool then using lfs_migrate (which uses the files \
striping, not the directory striping) caused files to be written to the osts above \
the bad osts.

w/r,
Kurt

Message: 3