List:       lustre-discuss
Subject:    [Lustre-discuss] Slow NFS/CIFS when exporting Lustre
From:       green () whamcloud ! com (Oleg Drokin)
Date:       2011-09-26 12:06:58

Hello!

On Sep 22, 2011, at 11:31 AM, Dan wrote:

> After researching this in the archives it seems 85% of Lustre's native performance \
> is reasonable via NFS.  Over GigE I'm seeing 114 MB/sec read/write via Lustre \
> native.  NFS writes at 44 MB/sec via NFS (about 38%) but reads at 95 MB/sec.  CIFS \
> is lucky to see 18 MB/sec writes after tuning Samba (12 MB/sec prior).  I've tried \
> tuning the Lustre client and NFS client and server but nothing impacts the \
> performance except setting noatime on NFS, which gets another 1.5 MB/sec on writes. \
> What  are some of you seeing in this configuration?  Suggestions?

One issue is likely frequent attempts to use xattrs (there is a patch to speed this \
up in recent Lustre, LU-144 I think it is) and flocks. Also I heard to cifs only does \
small IO - 64kb packets over the wire (and corresponding small reads), if you have \
high latency link, that would probably have pretty negative impact too.

Bye,
    Oleg
--
Oleg Drokin