List:       lustre-discuss
Subject:    [Lustre-discuss] MGS - one per site
From:       wjt27 () cam ! ac ! uk (Wojciech Turek)
Date:       2009-06-27 15:54:39

We have three lustre file systems of which one is "stand alone" and uses
it's own MGS. We mount all three file systems on every client. The
only difficulty I came across when mounting all three file systems on a
client was that there could be only one MGS per NID. So to make
client communicating with both MGSs I created an alias network interface and
then in modprobe.conf I configured two NIDs
options lnet networks=tcp1(eth1),tcp2(eth1:0)

mount -t lustre 10.142.10.201 at tcp1:10.142.10.202 at tcp1:/scratch  /scratch
mount -t lustre 10.142.10.201 at tcp1:10.142.10.202 at tcp1:/data  /data
mount -t lustre 10.42.10.203 at tcp2:10.42.10.204 at tcp2:/work  /work

Regards,

Wojciech

2009/6/26 Andreas Dilger <adilger at sun.com>

> On Jun 26, 2009  10:52 -0500, Carlos Santana wrote:
> > Can a lustre file system have more than one MGS? Isn't it only one per
> > site? I saw some examples where target type mgs was mentioned during
> > mkfs.lustre for MDS and OSS nodes. Is it correct and when is it used?
>
> It makes sense generally to have a single MGS per site for multiple
> filesystems, because if clients are mounting more than one filesystem
> they can only communicate with a single MGS at a time.
>
> In some cases there will of course be a need for multiple MGSes in
> a single site (e.g. secure and open networks), which is fine as long
> as clients don't try to mount from multiple MGSes at once.
>
> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger
> Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group