List:       lustre-discuss
Subject:    [Lustre-discuss] lustre 1.6.0.1
From:       aaron () iges ! org (Aaron Knister)
Date:       2007-06-24 21:17:47

If you weren't happy with GFS try OCFS2. It's oracle's cluster
filesystem and it's SOO easy to set up. Sadly I don't have answers to
any of your other questions other than the fact that Lustre's
performance with small files is abysmal for me too. I'm very much
interested in any tunables.

-Aaron

On Jun 21, 2007, at 9:20 AM, Balagopal Pillai wrote:

> Hi,
>
>           I am using Lustre 1.6.0.1 with one OST and 20 clients in
> an HPC cluster.
> The OST/MDT/MGS has a 16 channel 3ware 9650 using raid6. I
> currently have another lustre installation
> (version 1.4.5) and it has been working trouble free for over an
> year. The OS is CentOS 4. There are 4 network
> ports in the storage server in adaptive load balanced mode and
> aggregate network throughout is great (with 4 x netperf/iperf from
> clients)
> in an ideal situation when clients pick up different mac addresses
> of the different interfaces in their arp table.
>
>           I have a few questions about Lustre and hope someone can
> help me.
>
> * I had to re-export the lustre volume via nfs on the new 1.6.0.1
> setup to other infrastructure boxes.
> After the export, i get the following error messages in the OSS -
>

> Jun 21 09:31:11 lustre-3ware kernel: Lustre: 4946:0:
> (lustre_fsfilt.h:205:fsfilt_start_log()) scratch-OST0000: slow
> journal start 33s
> Jun 21 09:31:11 lustre-3ware kernel: Lustre: 4946:0:
> (lustre_fsfilt.h:205:fsfilt_start_log()) Skipped 22 previous
> similar messages
> Jun 21 09:31:11 lustre-3ware kernel: Lustre: 4874:0:(filter.c:
> 1139:filter_parent_lock()) scratch-OST0000: slow parent lock 33s
> Jun 21 09:31:11 lustre-3ware kernel: Lustre: 4874:0:(filter.c:
> 1139:filter_parent_lock()) Skipped 6 previous similar messages
>
> Also is the NFS re-export option stable in version 1.6? I read some
> posts before in the list reporting kernel panics on Lustre 1.4.
>

> *I was evaluating GFS for the past few weeks with GNBD and the
> performance was amazing (at least for my purpose with one storage
> server). It was very fast, especially for small files.
> But i had to dump it because of stability reasons. The problems
> were these - has 6 daemons that need to come up in a particular
> order. If some of
> the kernel modules crash on heavy load on a node, the whole cluster
> freezes. It had the issue of quorum, which is beneficial on a HA
> setup, may be not for HPC.
> In some cases, i have to keep just one server running  that re-
> exports the volume via nfs even if the hpc nodes are down. Like
> during a power failure for example. Quorum is a
> problem in that case. But it was mostly stability that made me not
> go with GFS + GNBD.
>
> *Now the problem - Lustre performance dips a lot when it comes to
> small files. Please see the following fileop -f 5 test comparing
> NFS and Lustre -
>

> Lustre -
>         Fileop:  File size is 1,  Output is in Ops/sec. (A=Avg,
> B=Best, W=Worst)
> .      mkdir  rmdir create   read  write  close   stat access
> chmod readdir link   unlink delete  Total_files
> A    5   1654    691    132  14228    719   4874   1987  32737
> 1718   2506   1262   1340   1608          125
>

> NFS -
> [...]

Aaron Knister
Systems Administrator/Web Master
Center for Research on Environment and Water

(301) 595-7001
aaron@iges.org