List:       lustre-discuss
Subject:    [Lustre-discuss] [Fwd: RE: HSM stage 1]
From:       jc.lafoucriere () cea ! fr (Jacques-Charles Lafoucriere)
Date:       2007-01-31 10:45:44

Hi,

CFS and CEA have started working on the Lustre HSM detailed design and
implementation.
Directory migration is not supported but we will have an option to
migrate files attibutes (striping, pathname when file is migrated, ....)
in the backstore system.
So if you loose all the Lustre namespace you will be able to re-create
the Lustre namespace from the backstore but not the empty directories
nor the owner/rights of directories, files. These informations could be
backup with a separate backup tool (optimized for Lustre).
We will have a whole file pre-migration and later, when free space is
needed, we will purge the file but keep some data on the OST to avoid
staging if, for example, someone access few bytes at the beginning of
the file.
Staging will be trigered by the open or by the first read/write (this
will be a policy parameter).

JC