List:       lustre-discuss
Subject:    [Lustre-discuss] Proposed changes to the QsNet driver shipped with
From:       scjody () clusterfs ! com (Jody McIntyre)
Date:       2006-12-27 20:22:01

Hi all,

As you may be aware, the Lustre-patched kernel we ship includes a
complete QsNet driver for Quadrics Elan cards.  A customer has asked us
to upgrade this driver to the latest version.  However, Quadrics now
recommends patching the kernel then building the drivers out-of-tree
rather than integrating the drivers with the kernel tree and building
everything together.  This is what I propose to do unless someone
objects.

Therefore, please let me know if any of the following are likely to
cause you problems:

1. Upgrading to the latest QsNet kernel patch.

2. Only patching in the standard patches ("Quadrics Patches" on [1])
rather than the full set that includes the driver ("Quadrics Integration
patch" on [1].)

3. Keeping the QsNet patch up to date in future Lustre releases, if it
is changed by Quadrics.

Thanks,
Jody

[1]: http://web1.quadrics.com/downloads/ReleaseDocs/hawk/LinuxKernelIntegration.html#Overview_Patches