List:       lustre-discuss
Subject:    [Lustre-discuss] Re: adding space
From:       nathan () clusterfs ! com (Nathaniel Rutman)
Date:       2006-10-24 13:49:56

Oops.  The free-space stripe weighting (what we call "stripe QOS"),
although present in all the 1.6 betas, was inadvertently set to give a
priority of "0" to the free space (versus trying to place the stripes
"widely" -- nicely distributed across OSSs and OSTs to maximize network
balancing).
This priority can be adjusted via the proc file
/proc/fs/lustre/lov/lustre-mdtlov/qos_prio_free
The default in the future will be 90%.
You can set this permanently on existing betas with this command on the MGS:
lctl conf_param <fsname>-MDT0000.lov.qos_prio_free=90

Note that setting the priority to 100% just means that OSS distribution
doesn't count in the weighting, but the stripe assignment is still done
via a weighting -- if OST2 has twice as much free space as OST1, it will
be twice as likely to be used, _not_ guaranteed to be used.

Also note that stripe QOS doesn't kick in until two OSTs are imbalanced
by more than 20%.  Until then, a faster round-robin stripe allocater is
used.  (The new round-robin order also maximizes network balancing.)