List:       lustre-discuss
Subject:    [Lustre-discuss] Number of open files is growing
From:       ian.ohr () hp ! com (Ian Ohr)
Date:       2006-10-19 3:49:39

Hello,

I am looking to reproduce this bug, in order to write a regression test
for it. I have the correct lustre modified kernel for Red Hat EL3u7
(2.4.21-40) lustre 1.4.6.4 , but I am unsure about the circumstances
that lead to the number of open files "growing."

Is this a reference to processes opening files, then closing them, but
the file descriptors remaining in /proc/<pid>/fd . If not, where should
I look to see reference to these open files?

Any help in reproducing this would be gratefully received.

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 04:27:03 MDT, Oleg Drokin wrote:
>Hello!

>On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 03:16:54PM +0300, Leonid Shulov wrote:
> > All work fine except growing number of open files with kernel
> > 2.4.21-40.EL_lustre.1.4.6.4smp.
> > Number of open files is growing and does not depends is Lustre start or
> > stop.

>Thanks a lot about reporting this issue to us!
>It seems there is a problem introduced in our patch series around 1.4.6.3
>release (to 2.4.21-40 kernel only) that nobody noticed yet.
>We will certainly fix that ASAP and will probably release new pointrelease.

>Bye,
>    Oleg

-------
Ian Ohr