List:       lustre-discuss
Subject:    [Lustre-discuss] Misc questions on deployment
From:       dleaberry () iarchives ! com (Daniel Leaberry)
Date:       2006-08-23 11:54:26

Kumaran Rajaram wrote:
> Regarding rebalancing, it would be helpful if a utility to rebalance the
> file-system can be provided. The rebalance utility might be
> time-consuming  which moves objects across OSTs and maps inodes to the
> new location of the objects (in MDS). The rebalance operation might be
> done online in which case the object needs to be locked/unlocked
> before/after migration respectively or offline in which case FS has to
> be unmounted.
>
> Just a thought..
>
> Regards,
> -Kums

While out looking at the bugzilla yesterday I found this KB entry on
rebalancing complete with a rudimentary script. I actually found a lot
of good answers that weren't in the FAQ in the KB. Thanks for providing
that resource.

> Hi Daniel,

Thank you Peter for your answers. The marking of directories for certain
OST's sounds like exactly what we would use. We process rolls of
microfilm and for disaster recovery purposes it would work far better if
each roll was on one OST. Otherwise the loss of an OST would mean we
could lose 2-3 files per roll which would be terrible.