List:       lustre-devel
Subject:    [Lustre-devel] Lustre RPC visualization
From:       Michael.Kluge () tu-dresden ! de (Michael Kluge)
Date:       2010-06-24 8:01:14

> While Alexey's comment is correct, in that there can be multiple Lustre client \
> mounts on a single node, this is generally only used for testing.  For client \
> connections the UUID is just a random value like \
> "f4726b1e-f7eb-479f-b163-784ea45adf32", so using the NID is much more useful to the \
> viewer in the vast majority of cases.

Well, what I can do with OTF and Vampir is to use a process hierarchy. So for each \
NID I can have a couple of UUID as 'child processes'. Like the way one looks at \
hybrid MPI & OpenMP programs. Where we have MPI processes and treat OpenMP threads as \
child processes.

> If you wanted to distinguish the multiple mounts from a single client it would be \
> best to just do this internally by tracking both the NID and the UUID, but only \
> printing the NID on the output.  For the rare case where requests have the same NID \
> but a different UUID you could show this as "NID:2", "NID:3" or similar.  That \
> preserves the distinction between client connections, while not making the output \
> completely useless.

Yes, that fits into the statement above.

> Even better than plain numeric NIDs would be to do IP->hostname conversion for the \
> case of TCP and IB LNDs, if this works.

Well, typically I only have the debug log. Which might be incomplete. I don't think I \
have something that can do this conversion reliably?

Michael

e-mail: michael.kluge at tu-dresden.de
WWW:    http://www.tu-dresden.de/zih