List:       lustre-announce
Subject:    Re: [Lustre-discuss] Can't locate module portals
From:       Andreas Dilger <adilger () clusterfs ! com>
Date:       2004-10-21 10:24:02

On Oct 20, 2004  13:39 -0500, John D Leidel wrote:
> I've having trouble getting lconf to come up on our cluster.  I tried
> using the example scripts (as well as my own), and lconf returns the same
> error every time:
> ! modprobe (error 255)
> >modprobe: Can't locate module portals.
>
> I've installed lustre successfully from RPM with no errors, so I assume
> everything is working.  I also tried compiling from source, with no luck
> as no matter how I attempt to compile, it fails on files that are present,
> but it does not find.  Any help?  Thank you in advance.

Two minor things to check:
1) was lustre built against the kernel that is currently being run?
   modprobe will look into /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel to find them.
   You could try running "strace modprobe portals" to see what it is
   doing.
2) are you running lconf from within a lustre source tree?  It has a
   "developer" mode where it tries to load modules from within the
   source tree.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger