List:       lustre-announce
Subject:    Re: [Lustre-discuss] Licensing for Lustre 1.2
From:       Phil Schwan <phil () clusterfs ! com>
Date:       2004-04-13 5:47:07

Ryan B. Lynch wrote:

> Regarding the Lustre licensing, I noted that version 1.0 is
> distributed under the GPL and is freely available from the
> clusterfs.com site.  The site mentions that version 1.2 is only
> available to customers with support contracts, and the download is
> not freely available.
>
> Please take pity on the ignorant--this means that Lustre 1.2 is not
> GPL, correct?

Yes, this means that we have not released Lustre 1.2.x to the public
under the GPL _yet_.

> Are there any plans to release version 1.2 under the GPL?  If not,
> does this mean that Lustre has no GPL-licensed support for 2.6 Linux
> kernels at all?

We remain completely committed to producing an excellent GPLed cluster
file system, and we absolutely will release Lustre 1.2 under the GPL.

Lustre releases will be made available to the public under the GPL no
more than one year after they are made available to our customers.  In
all likelihood, you will have to wait much less than a year.

There was a 2.6 patch released along with Lustre 1.0.2, in
ftp://ftp.lustre.org/pub/lustre/other/extras-1.0.2/  However, as Lustre
1.0.x is no longer maintained except for critical bug fixes, these
patches are not being updated as 2.6 moves forward.

For the moment, you are correct -- there is no GPL-licensed support for
modern 2.6 kernels.

-Phil