List:       lustre-announce
Subject:    Re: [Lustre-discuss] Interoperablity ia32 / ia64
From:       Phil Schwan <phil () clusterfs ! com>
Date:       2004-04-01 4:34:55

Chris Samuel wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 05:37 am, Phil Schwan wrote:
>
>>What you suggest -- ia32 MDS/OSTs and ia32/ia64 clients -- should not
>>pose a problem.
>
> I presume the same will be true for AMD64 clients as well ?
>
> Hmm, how about AMD64 MDS/OST's ?

Page size is the chief concern here, assuming the discussion is centred
on little-endian platforms.  I believe that AMD64 defaults to 4k pages,
which makes it behave as ia32 does for the purposes of client/server
interoperability.  What you describe is not a problem.

99% of Lustre is endian-clean as well, although we are aware of a few
nagging bugs, so running mixed-endian (ie, PPC clients and ia32 servers)
is not yet recommended.

-Phil