List:       lustre-announce
Subject:    Re: [Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.0 performance with Gigabit Ethernet
From:       John Wagner <jw () fujitsu ! fr>
Date:       2003-12-12 22:03:58

Christoph,

If you don't mind I'd like to add a little on this item since we found
some performance issues with the Intel Pro 1000 Ethernet drivers.

Firstly it might be a good idea to see if your Gbit network is capable
of performing at close to the 100MB/s range between two hosts. I suggest
you use ttcp to do this. It will quickly show whether your Ethernet
cards are set-up for maximum performance. We have found that if you are
using Intel Pro1000 cards and the e1000 driver prior to the 5.1.13
release  you cannot achieve more than about 50-55 MB/s over the Gbit
link (however given your Lustre performance is lower than that then it
would appear you have other issues involved here). However it would be
worth getting the network interface running at the highest speed first.
To do this with the Intel Pro 1000's (this includes the onboard NIC's on
the most recent Intel motherboards) you will need the e1000 driver
version 5.1.13 or above and you must set InterruptThrottleRate=0 in
/etc/modules.conf. This is particularly useful for improving message
passing application throughput though I don't know how much mileage it
will give for file system based activity. However we saw ttcp improve
from the already stated 50-55MB/s to between 92-100MB/s depending on
your switch specification.

This will at least help get your network interconnect set-up to maximum
speed. If your Lustre performance does not improve then the problem lies
somewhere in the file system code or communication layer.

I you have not already known about this and it can help a little.

Regards,

John.

John Wagner
Fujitsu Systems Europe