List:       lucene-user
Subject:    Re: Question about threading in search
From:       Erick Erickson <erickerickson () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-08-17 14:58:49

Please don't optimize to 1 segment unless you can afford to do it
quite regularly, see:
https://lucidworks.com/2017/10/13/segment-merging-deleted-documents-optimize-may-bad/

(NOTE: this is changing as of 7.5, see:
https://lucidworks.com/2018/06/20/solr-and-optimizing-your-index-take-ii/).

bq. It seems that search is sometimes faster with multiple segments.

In addition to what Toke said, this may just be an autowarming
problem. Measurements mean little/nothing unless they're performed on
a warmed-up index since there's quite a bit of reading from disk into
the heap and OS memory space that's required. You may just be seeing
that.

Best,
Erick