List:       lucene-user
Subject:    Re: i18n numbers
From:       Robert Muir <rcmuir () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-27 14:15:41

this is really no problem at all... use RBBI to identify runs of numbers in
your query string, and then replace them with the normalized version. you
will need icu jar for this.

String userQuery = "Potter 19,99";
        Locale locale = new Locale("nl");
        RuleBasedBreakIterator bi = (RuleBasedBreakIterator)
RuleBasedBreakIterator.getWordInstance(locale);
        NumberFormat nf = NumberFormat.getNumberInstance(locale);
        bi.setText(userQuery);
        int start = bi.first(); int end = bi.next();
        StringBuilder normalizedQuery = new StringBuilder();
        while (end != BreakIterator.DONE) { // if its a number parse it and
append it formatted to my locale
            if (bi.getRuleStatus() == RuleBasedBreakIterator.WORD_NUMBER) {
                normalizedQuery.append(nf.parse(userQuery.substring(start,
end)));
            } else {
                normalizedQuery.append(userQuery.substring(start, end));
            }
            start = end;
            end = bi.next();
        }

after this code:

System.out.println(userQuery);
Potter 19,99
System.out.println(normalizedQuery);
Potter 19.99

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:54 AM, Marcel Overdijk
<marceloverdijk@gmail.com>wrote:

> That would make sense yes.
>
> But the problem is I'm having a general query filed. I don't know user
> entered String or a number, or what he meant... Is 2008 a year (number) or
> part of an address String e.g. keeping the address.
> Or maybe he's combining stuff like "Potter 19,99"
>

> Robert Muir wrote:
> >
> > marcel,
> >
> > I'd suggest parsing/display numbers in a locale-sensitive way with
> > NumberFormat (be sure to supply correct locale)... and keeping them in
> the
> > index one consistent way (i.e. 19.99)
> >

> > On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Marcel Overdijk
> > <marceloverdijk@gmail.com>wrote:
> >

> >> Thanks for your reply.
> >>
> >> It's indeed a webapp with a html front-end.
> >> I agree letting end-user enter a Lucene query might not what you want.
> >>
> >> Probably I will be using an "all" index which indexes all fields of my
> >> entity. So in the book example including book title, isbn, price,
> >> author.firstname, author.lastname.
> >>
> >> The end-user will have an Quick Search option in which he/she can enter
> >> query string.
> >> E.g. "Potter" when searching for Harry Potter books or "19,99" / "19.99"
> >> for
> >> books with a price of 19.99.
> >> So I actually don't know for what field the user is searching.
> >>
> >> This is also my use case to introduce Lucene/Hibernate Search.
> >> I don't want multiple like's in a SQL query.
> >>

> >> Cheers,
> >> Marcel

> >> And
> (i.e.