List:       lucene-user
Subject:    Re: Distributed Search
From:       "Jeff Rodenburg" <jeff.rodenburg () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-07-28 6:02:40

Hi Mark -

Having gone down this path for the past year, I echo comments from others
that scalability/availability/failover is a lot of work.  We migrated away
from a custom system based on Lucene running on Windows to Solr running on
Linux.  It took us 6 months to get our system to a solid five-nines in
availability.  Having done this previously, I can advise one not to
underestimate the effort involved with this.  We would have taken the simple
route had it been available.

We shifted to Solr because of the operational elements that allows us to
achieve clustering and failover capability within the Linux/Apache/Tomcat
(our flavor) mix.  It just works better for us than our home-brew.

-- j