List:       lucene-user
Subject:    Re: Lucene indexing RDF
From:       adasal <adam.saltiel () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-06-29 11:35:19

Hi Chris,
I find this incredibly interesting!
Thank you for your full explanation. I was aware of the components, but not
the implementation.

> ... to provide a means to query both document full-text and metadata using
> an RDF model

Is there any thing I can read about how you have some to this approach?
The meta data here is simply the RDF elements?
But there is a distinction between the name given to an element, that has a
semantic, and the type of element, which I guess has a semantic implication?
Either or both of these could influence a text search or feedback to the
user (to refine their query, perhaps)?

> ... query all RDF literals using Lucene's query facilities while making
> use of the logical RDF structure (which is what you want, if I understand
> you correctly), even when the structure of the stored models is not known at
> development time.

Yes, that is what I am thinking. Well, we know that we can import a model
into a class, Henry Story and others are working on this. This is a
convenience to the developer, but such things shouldn't be underestimated.
So the issue is that we can use an arbitrary data structure in code (that
happens to be RDF), and what we need to do is find what is generic in RDF
that will allow us to meaningfully manipulate it. Perhaps an approach would
be to have a series of handlers that would facilitate this, e.g. an obvious
one would be a list handler. But less obvious would be the implication of
the presence or absence of elements, i.e. optional in the XSD.
I am very uncertain where this is going. It may be impossible to draw many
logical conclusions from RDF that are explicit in RDF/OWL, and trying to do
that would be like trying to recast the RDF as OWL?
The investigations into OWL must be relevant here anyway. Turning to the
Lucene side of it, I think there must be something extra that Lucene can add
to how that structure is used, e.g. it is an arbitrary structure with
arbitrary data encapsulated, but the data can inform the approach in logic
to the structure?
Adam