List:       lucene-user
Subject:    Re: Indexing multiple keywords in one field?
From:       Erik Hatcher <erik () ehatchersolutions ! com>
Date:       2005-05-31 9:22:58

On May 31, 2005, at 4:06 AM, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> Le 30 mai 05, à 22:13, Doug Hughes a écrit :
>
>> Ok, so more than one keyword can be stored in a keyword field.
>> Interesting!
>>

> Yes, yes, yes!! You can do:
>
> doc.add("link","xx");
> doc.add("link","yy");

Well, that's not quite correct API, but your point is accurate :)

> and matches will match any of them!
> I found this in the book and not in the javadoc and I'd recommed
> adding it in the javadoc of the add method, it's a non-obvious
> goodness which suits all forms of scalability!

Fields are made up of terms.  A Field.Keyword makes a single term for
a field.  Adding multiple fields with the same name works even if its
not Field.Keyword - it simply adds the term(s) to the field.

Good point about documentation - it would be worth noting this
explicitly.

     Erik