List:       lucene-user
Subject:    Re: Corrupted index
From:       Doug Cutting <cutting () apache ! org>
Date:       2005-04-11 18:08:38

Bill Tschumy wrote:
> So, did this happen because he copied the data while in an inconsistent
> state?  I'm a bit surprised that an inconsistent index is ever left on
> disk (except for temporarily while something is being written).  Would
> this happen if there was a Writer that was not closed?

An index should never be left in an inconsistent state.  After a crash
lock files may need to be removed, but that's it.

However, backing up an index while it is being modified is tricky, since
it is a moving target.  At any single point in time the index is
consistent, but the backup process is not instantaneous, and views the
index at a number of points in time.

Doug