List:       lucene-user
Subject:    Re: Webapp Demo throws ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException on Large index
From:       Chris D <brogar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-03-11 15:35:40

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 13:31:43 -0500, Chris D <brogar@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been playing with the webapp and attempting to search over two
> indexes that I've created. The first was 700M the second is 2.3G.
>
> When the webapp attempts to search the second I get a
> "ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException":
>
> java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
>   at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:324)
>   at org.apache.lucene.index.FieldInfos.fieldInfo(FieldInfos.java:155)
>   at org.apache.lucene.index.FieldInfos.fieldName(FieldInfos.java:151)
>   at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:95)
>
> While searching the first works flawlessly. So I figured it might have
> been an index that was broken, I reindexed and ran into the same
> problem. I then wrote a small stand alone java app that searches the
> index and it works just fine.

I did some more investigation... This method is the culprit

  public FieldInfo fieldInfo(int fieldNumber) {
    return (FieldInfo) byNumber.get(fieldNumber);
  }

   The fieldNumber is -1 when it's read by

   return new Term(fieldInfos.fieldName(input.readVInt()),
            new String(buffer, 0, totalLength), false);

   in SegmentTermEnum.readTerm.

Thinking it might be my application I also ran Limo just to check,
Limo (which is also a tomcat application) crashed with the same error.
 Is there an issue with Tomcat and large indexes? Should I be looking
elsewhere for a solution?