List:       lucene-user
Subject:    Re: QueryParser refactoring
From:       Erik Hatcher <erik () ehatchersolutions ! com>
Date:       2005-03-09 14:16:42

On Mar 9, 2005, at 7:25 AM, sergiu gordea wrote:
> transformations to be reversible
> (I mean something like Query => String => Query, with the constraint
> initial query equals final query).
>
> Ok ... I give up ... if  this feature is to hard to be implemented,
> the soltution will be to work around in my source code to make it
> work.

It's not just hard, its impossible in the generalizable sense.  An
analyzer is involved in parsing a query and could easily
remove/change/add to the query.  I suspect there are probably issues
with escaped characters as well.  For many cases with a straightforward
analyzer and queries that use alphabetic terms then it'll probably work
fine as you've seen, but relying on Query.toString is risky.

	Erik