List:       lucene-user
Subject:    See Lucene in action at Furl...
From:       Michael Giles <mgiles () visionstudio ! com>
Date:       2004-01-25 15:39:25

Furl - http://www.furl.net

I've been meaning to write to the list about Furl for a while as it is a
pretty cool use of Lucene (Otis finally connected the dots and tracked me
down last week).  Furl (http://www.furl.net) is basically an Internet
filing cabinet for useful web pages.  Or to put it in Lucene-geek terms, it
is a browser-based app that gives you your own Lucene index of all the
interesting web pages/articles you find online.

I read all of my news online and there just isn't a good way to keep track
of it and then recall it at a later date (i.e. "What the heck was that
article I read about...?").  Bookmarks are really not built for that
task.  And blogs aren't either (because you can only search on your
comments, which I never remember).  Thus, Furl was born last spring with
some traits of bookmarks (i.e. single click in your browser), some traits
of blogs (i.e. bookmarklets, links, comments, RSS feeds), some traits of
Google (i.e. full-text index of web content) and a bunch of its own mojo.

I just launched it publicly last week and folks are signing up fast and
really enjoying it.  I think it's damn useful (i.e. one of the few things I
use every day) so check it out.  And if you want to play around with search
without signing up, you can use the demo account or search my public
entries (http://www.furl.net/members/mgiles) for things like "lucene",
"genetics", "whales", whatever.

It certainly wouldn't have been possible without Lucene.  Enjoy!

-Mike