List:       lucene-user
Subject:    Re: Collaborative Filtering API
From:       "Steven J. Owens" <puffmail () darksleep ! com>
Date:       2003-11-26 20:34:27

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 01:18:19PM -0500, Michael Giles wrote:
> Yes, he was the lead Ph.D. student on the GroupLens project at Minnesota.

     I've actually worked on a system that bundled GroupLens.  I think
it was Vignette StoryServer.  The Vignette docs were incredibly dense
with MarketingNewSpeak, so I could never quite figure out what they
said GroupLens actually *did* (not at a web-capable terminal right
now, or I'd just google it).

     Collaborative filtering in general is a topic I'm interested in,
and is why I first got into Lucene.  I wanted and still want to build
a collaborative filtering search engine for mailing lists and the
like.

     I do remember that FireFly's engine was supposed to graph all of
the users' ratings on a topic in an N-dimensional space, and then find
users "close" to the same user in that N-dimensional space, and
suggest topics that they'd liked, but that the current user hadn't
rated.

     I'm interested in more of a "free market" sort of approach than
in statistical analysis; I want to build a system that helps usrs
express their opinions, then nurture an emerging consensus.  My
experience has been that systems that systems/technologies that try to
facilitate the way users already do things, instead of replacing them
with new ways of doing things, tend to work better.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - Me at http://darksleep.com