List:       lucene-dev
Subject:    Re: Soften Jira's note when opening new issues?
From:       Walter Underwood <wunder () wunderwood ! org>
Date:       2021-09-24 20:09:24

I have a search story from Netflix about how much the first words matter.

We had two movies named "The Other Boleyn Girl". One was an older BBC miniseries and \
the other was a recent Hollywood film. The BBC result was #1, which seemed wrong, but \
it was in more rental queues, so people really were adding it. The images were just \
women in big taffeta dresses, and the description for the Hollywood film started with \
something like "From acclaimed director …", so it was hard to tell which was which.

I asked the movie metadata team to reword the description of the Hollywood film so \
that the first two words were "Nicole Kidman". They pushed the change, and one hour \
later, the Hollywood film was the first result.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org