List:       lucene-dev
Subject:    Perl progress
From:       Marvin Humphrey <marvin () rectangular ! com>
Date:       2005-09-27 21:45:07

Greets,

A week ago, a revamped indexer based on my Perl search engine
library, KinoSearch, successfully built a Lucene-compatible index.
The corpus was 1,000 documents from Wikipedia.

Better, it did so in a reasonable amount of time:

Time to index 1000 docs on my G4 laptop
=======================================
Plucene 1.25                   270 secs
KinoSearch 0.05_02              20 secs
Java Lucene                      9 secs

There are a number of fundamental architectural differences between
KinoSearch and Lucene, and by extension between KinoSearch and
Plucene, which is largely a faithful port of Java Lucene.  The most
important of these is the merge model, which I plan to address in a
separate post, but briefly: Lucene builds miniature-inverted-indexes
for each document, then merges them into ever larger indexes on a
schedule determined by mergeFactor.  KinoSearch builds indexes one
segment at a time, and no coherent mini-inverted-index ever exists
which is smaller than a segment.

Two other important differences:

1) KinoSearch requires that all fields be defined in advance when
creating a segment.  The Documents which you add may not contain
fields which have not been declared, and you cannot update the
definition of a field once it is set.  Segments with differing field
defs can be reconciled -- you just can't change up a def in the
middle of creating a segment. Additionally, KinoSearch will not merge
fields with the same fieldname -- it will overwrite.  Insisting on
rigid field definitions means that the KinoSearch equivalents of
FieldInfos, DocumentWriter, FieldsWriter, FieldInfosWriter,
TermInfosWriter and such can all be instantiated once per segment,
rather than once per document; in Perl, with its comparatively
sluggish OO implementation, that adds up.

2) Analyzers in KinoSearch deal with batches of tokens rather than
streams.  The concept of a TokenStream simply does not translate into
efficient        Perl.

It may be possible to squeeze more speed out of this indexer, but
that's no longer a top priority.  Top priority is: adapt KinoSearch's
search modules to work with the Lucene file format.  After that, the
goal will be to implement a limited, maintainably small subset of
Lucene's functionality.  For instance, I only plan to support
composite indexes written by Lucene 1.9 (or whatever version starts
writing valid UTF-8) or later.

The code is still a little messy, but if you'd like to snoop it, you
have the option of either a tarball or viewcvs from here:

http://www.rectangular.com/kinosearch/

I'll be directing attention towards one particular section of code in
my post on merge models.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/