List:       lucene-dev
Subject:    Fwd: Standard or Modified UTF-8?
From:       Marvin Humphrey <marvin () rectangular ! com>
Date:       2005-08-27 14:04:28

Greets,

It was suggested that I move this to the developers list from the
users list...

-- Marvin Humphrey

Begin forwarded message:

From: Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com>
Date: August 26, 2005 4:51:27 PM PDT
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Standard or Modified UTF-8?

Greets,

As part of my attempt to speed up Plucene and establish index
compatibility between Plucene and Java Lucene, I'm porting
InputStream and OutputStream to XS (the C API for accessing Perl's
guts), and I believe I have found a documentation bug in the file-
format spec at...

http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/fileformats.html

"Lucene writes unicode character sequences using the standard UTF-8
encoding."

Snooping the code in OutputStream, it looks like you are writing
modified UTF-8 -- NOT standard -- because a null byte is written
using the two-byte form.

       else if (((code >= 0x80) && (code <= 0x7FF)) || code == 0) {
     writeByte((byte)(0xC0 | (code >> 6)));
     writeByte((byte)(0x80 | (code & 0x3F)));

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8#Modified_UTF-8

Can someone please confirm that the intention is to write modified
UTF-8?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/