List:       lucene-dev
Subject:    Re: Weird BooleanQuery behavior
From:       Paul Elschot <paul.elschot () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2005-02-08 18:58:36

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 16:07, Cheolgoo Kang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting some weird results using BooleanQuery.
> Let's see an example. Here's a simple OR-connected query.
>
> T:files T:deleting C:thanks C:exists
>
> The query above hits 1 document. But following *same* query only with
> parenthesis results nothing.
>
> (T:files T:deleting) (C:thanks C:exists)

These two queries should give the same result.

Could you provide a test case that reproduces this?

A simple example test case is in the source code of TestNot.java
currently available from here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/tags/lucene_1_4_3/src/test/org/apache/lucene/search/
You could also add a main() method when you don't want to use JUnit.

> Another combinations of MUST and SHOULD.
>
> "T:files T:deleting +C:production +C:optimize" hits 1 document.
> "(T:files T:deleting) (+C:production +C:optimize)" hits 1 document.
>
> Isn't it weird? Is it an expected behavior?

That depends on the index that is being searched.
A correct result could be the same document for both queries.

Regards,
Paul Elschot