List:       lucene-dev
Subject:    Re: [SUBMIT] docweb demo app
From:       Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-02-27 2:23:43

Ah, I finally found this contribution from Erik.
It's a bit lengthy and I don't have the patience and concentration to
read and understand it now.  Maybe tomorrow :).
In the mean time - has anyone tried this?
Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, anything?
I don't want to be the only one getting -1 from people, so please speak
up.

Thanks,
Otis

--- Erik Hatcher <lists@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> [...]
> because of the embedded index).
>
> Here are some known issues (the ones I can think off the top of my
> head):
>
> - It hooks into the existing demo web app pages, so searching works,
> but the
> results page is broken because its not adding the same fields the
> original
> demo expects.  Again, this is proof-of-concept that a web app demo
> can be
> delivered that is fully functional with an embedded index and does
> something
> useful with Lucene's docs.
>
> - The <index> task does some dependency checking, but after seeing
> the 'uid'
> features in the Lucene demo code more closely I can see that it needs
> to be
> refactored to take advantage of this kind of thing.
>
> - How should file content be handled?   Embedded in the index as
> "rawcontents"?  Copied to a directory inside the WAR statically?  Its
> currently being embedded, which has its share of issues, as would
> copying
> also.
>
> - I'm still a "newbie" to Lucene's API.  I built this thing with very
> little
> effort (thanks lucene-dev!) several months ago, and haven't really
> touched
> it since as its not the direct focus of my current work.  It has
> simply
> worked solidly since built, so I haven't had a need to dig into it
> more to
> clean it up or tweak it.  There is of course much work to be done to
> have a
> really solid <index> task, but I feel this is a good start.
>
> Let me know if there are any questions or problems with incorporating
> this.
> And like I mentioned before, I'm looking for expert eyes at IndexTask
> code
> to make it the best it can be.  Folks that contribute to it will earn
> acknowledgements in my upcoming Ant book for sure (if you desire,
> certainly
> wouldn't print anyone's name without permission).
>
> Think about Gump or some other process indexing all of Jakarta's docs
> (perhaps during release builds only?) with fields for product,
> version, etc.
> Wow!  There is already a Jakarta search engine, but I'm sure it
> doesn't hold
> a candle to Lucene's capabilities. I feel that building an index of
> static
> content during an Ant build is an important capability for Lucene to
> have -
> docs are typically static until the next release, so it makes sense
> to index
> them at build time, right?
>
> Comments, suggestions, criticisms, etc all are welcome.
>
>     Erik
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/x-zip-compressed
name=jakarta-lucene.zip