List:       lucene-dev
Subject:    Near without slop
From:       Paddy Clark <Paddy.Clark () grantadesign ! com>
Date:       2001-11-28 18:18:02

OK I'm struggling .. how would I implement a NEAR operator, without using
phrases ?

My current "NEAR" solution is to modify the query parser to build a
PhraseQuery from the terms surrounding NEAR and set the slop
correctly.  This works for this kind of query:

Bob NEAR Jim

The problem comes when I try

microsoft NEAR app*

to get microsoft near application, apple etc.

app* is not a term so you cannot add it to a PhraseQuery.  The problem also
occurs with

microsoft NEAR "Bill Gates"
linux NEAR (unix AND bsd)

and other combinations...

Any pointers as to how to tackle this problem ?

Thanks,

P.
--
Patrick Clark