List:       lua-l
Subject:    Re: Project lead nominations for standard libraries?
From:       Henning Diedrich <hd2010 () eonblast ! com>
Date:       2010-12-31 21:58:10

On 12/31/10 9:23 PM, Chris Babcock wrote:
> the kind [of] language that Python has often promised to be

Hi Chris!

Sorry, can I jump in right there? Just because it's party time.

Python was made to teach programming and for prototyping. Once,
originally, really, as far as I read. (Replacing ABC [1]).

Lua was made for non-programmers. I am reading Roberto said that.
Extending SOL, which was pure configuration [2].

That cannot restrict either language to become what ever their fathers
want them to become. And at least Python, seemingly in presumptuous
fashion, kind of hides its beginnings under some verbosity [3].

But really, this subtle difference shows, still shows. I admire both for
their style, and I hate the GIL just as much as I dread # and [1]. It
has different consequences. But Lua is definitely more accessible than
Python and that IS because of the subtle difference of how they started
out and *who* they were meant for [4]. Python was not meant to be
modest. It happens to disqualify itself for its footprint for some
stuff. It's not trying to be nice, and very proud about it. Not Lua.

So I plead with you, Roberto, for the soul of Lua, as Chris called out,
fix # !

Just kidding, I'm 100% sure you will, I could imagine worse things under
the sun, and I know you stopped reading this thread. Too bad. Let me
rush out partying for the moment, then I'll be back explaining what I mean.

Well maybe not. But Chris, Lua IS great ;-D !
Henning

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_(programming_language)
[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)#cite_note-hopl2007-0
[3]
http://docs.python.org/faq/general#why-was-python-created-in-the-first-place
[4] No, NOT Dutch vs. Brasilians. That's not what I mean. Though it may
be a valid perspective.